I don’t know how to describe just how delicious this pie is. The proof is in the pudding…!!
It was just one of those weeks where I craved something sweet and scrumptious but as always didn’t want all of the unnecessary calories!
It’s comprised of three layers:
- A nut and oat layer
- A salted caramel layer made with dates, some peanut butter and milk
- And finally topped with some coconut cream
All healthier alternatives to biscuit, sugar and double cream!!!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 150g pitted dates
- 20g butter or dairy free spread
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 40g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 40g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 40g porridge oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (I used meridian)
- 3 tbsp milk (I used koko dairy free)
- Few drops of vanilla essence
- Sea salt to taste
- Dark chocolate
Here’s what to do:
To make the base:
- Add butter and maple syrup to a saucepan, heat gently until butter has melted, remove from the heat and add chopped nuts and porridge oats and combine
- Transfer the mixture to a lightly greased pie dish or springform tin in an even layer, pressing the mixture down into the tin with the back of a spoon
I used a 9 inch pie dish. If you would like a deeper pie with thicker layers you could use a smaller dish/tin.
- Bake in the oven at 160 degree’s c for 20 minutes or until golden
- Set aside and leave to cool
- While the base is cooling, make the caramel layer
To make the caramel layer:
- Add dates, peanut butter, vanilla and milk to a blender or nutri bullet and blend until smooth
If the mixture is too thick, simply add more milk. Water can also be used instead of milk!
- Add sea salt to taste (this is optional)
- Spread caramel over the nut and oat layer
- Top with some coconut cream.
I used the top layer of two tins of coconut milk.
I reserved the rest of the coconut milk for chicken curry and my coconut curried quinoa which I planned to make that day and the day after.
You could also make this a banoffie pie by adding a layer sliced bananas in-between the caramel and cream layer!! For me, I like bananas but not in a pie…
- Grate some dark chocolate over the cream
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days