French toast… Mmm. A tasty snack , breakfast or brunch option. I gotta say my ideal fresh toast recipe involves chunky white bread, bacon & lashings of maple syrup. The white bread while eating it is so totally delicious but not so kind on my tummy afterwards. Don’t even get me started on the bloat factor!!
Anyhow in the name of healthy eating I’ve put together a healthy French toast dish.
Wholegrain bread is the main ingredient. Ditching the white bread for wholegrain delivers a more satisfied, filling and healthier GI snack.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A frying pan
- Some coconut oil
- 2 slices of wholegrain bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Agave syrup (can also use honey, maple syrup or sweet freedom)
- Stevia (granulated)
- Greek yoghurt
Here’s what to do:
- Whisk together the eggs, cinnamon & ginger on a plate or in a bowl.
- Dip bread slices into the egg mixture and cook both sides on a frying pan (medium heat) until golden brown
- When cooked, remove to a serving plate and top with a drizzle of agave and a tsp of stevia!
- I like to add a dollop of Greek yoghurt & some berries