Quinoa (keen-wa) is a fantastic wheat-free alternative. It is an excellent source of protein and can be used as cereal at breakfast time, with a salad for lunch or as a side dish for dinner like couscous or rice. It is naturally high in fibre in-turn making it a low GI food.
Quinoa is usually boiled in water or stock similar to rice and has a slightly nutty flavour.
The following recipe is a really delicious way to spice up your quinoa:
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 courgette chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Saute onion in a large saucepan with some oil until tender
- Add the chopped pepper & courgette, saute until slightly softened.
- Stir in the curry powder, ginger, turmeric- Stirring continuously for 1 minute.
- Add in the quinoa, water & coconut milk
- Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer until quinoa is soft & almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
Really tasty as a dish on its own or with chicken or salmon.