These healthy homemade granola squares are easy to make,ideal for lunch boxes, as a post workout snack or for breakfast on the go. The beauty of these energy snacks is that you know exactly what has gone into them. “Most” shop bought ones are usually loaded with sugar while these nutty date and coconut squares are infused with honey which is a healthy natural sweetener.
Dates are fibre rich and a good source of energy as is coconut.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 400g dates
- 60g almonds
- 30g chia seeds
- 2og dessicated coconut
- 60g hazelnuts
- 50g chocolate- roughly chopped (70%)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey
Here’s what to do:
- Add dates to a food processor and blend
- As you can see from the photo I tried to blend the dates and nuts (almonds and hazelnuts) all together which wasn’t all that successful!! I went back to the start and blended the dates first and then added all of the nuts and blended again… happy days!!
- Next, add the blended ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir in the honey, chia seeds, coconut, vanilla extract and chocolate (optional)
- The chocolate that I always use is moser roth which is from Aldi and comes individually wrapped, which is soo handy! This particular one is 75% cocoa solids- 70% or over is the best. I roughly chopped two of this chocolate portions which weighs 50g
- Using the back of a spoon press the mixture into a square baking tray lined with parchment paper and sprinkle some coconut over the top. (The tin I used is 7’’)
- Cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge overnight or for a minimum 6 hours.
- Remove from the fridge and cut into squares.
- Store in a plastic container in the fridge for up to 5 days.