Stuffed courgettes are really simple, delicious and a low carb meal. They are pretty versatile in that they can be served as a main meal or as a side dish. When you see or hear low carb the first thing that pops into my mind anyway is “Is this meal gonna fill me or am I gonna be hungry again in an hour… lol” Well this is definitely not the case, as these are very filling!!
For this particular recipe I made 4 courgette boats… i.e. 2 courgettes cut in half. My hubby and I had 2 boats each. The beauty of them is that they can be stuffed with basically any filling of choice. I opted for a vegetarian filling (It was just that kinda day!!) but if you want to make them a bit “beefier”you can easily stuff them with chicken or mince. Rice is also a popular addition.
Here’s what you’ll need (serves 2)
- 2 courgettes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 medium mushrooms, chopped
- Sundried tomatoes
- Couscous ( I used wholewheat giant couscous)
- Vegetable stock
- Crushed garlic
- Black pepper
- Coconut oil
How to make the courgettes boats:
- Cut each courgette lengthways and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Put into a bowl and set aside
- Saute the chopped onion, mushroom and courgette flesh in a pan with some coconut oil, crushed garlic and black pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into courgettes, top with some sundries tomato and transfer to a lightly greased baking tray.
- Cook at 150 deg c for approx 30 minutes or until the courgettes are softened.
How to make couscous:
- Bring a pan of vegetable stock to the boil
- Add quantity of couscous as per packet instruction
- Add 1 tsp of cumin & 1 tsp paprika
- Boil for approx 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Drain and serve
This was my first time to cook with this particular brand and giant couscous! Its gonna be a staple in my kitchen from now on as its so flavoursome and feels more substantial than regular couscous. Just so you know, I got it in tesco!