This recipe supercede’s my porridge bread recipe.
*Edited on 1st Sept to replace chia seeds with sunflower and pumpkin seeds, *Increase of oats from 35og to 400g, *Introduction of treacle to give a richer/darker colour to the loaf *Removed milk from the recipe. All in all an improved yummier recipe!!!!
When our healthy eating plans start bread usually is banned from our kitchens… The following “faux bread” recipe is full of goodness, containing porridge oats and natural yoghurt. It can be combined together and baked in no time. Who said bread can’t be healthy!! The main ingredient in this loaf is porridge oats. Oats are a low GI food which means slower absorption into the blood stream… in turn keeping us fuller for longer.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 large tub (500g) of natural or greek yoghurt
- 400g porridge oats (gluten free if desired) (Use the empty yoghurt carton, filling the carton twice = 400g)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sunflower and pumpkin seeds (keep some for topping before going into the oven)
- 1 tbsp black treacle (Optional)
- Coconut oil/olive oil (for greasing the loaf tin)
Here’s what to do:
- Pre heat oven to 180 deg c (fan oven)
- Grease a loaf tin wit some coconut/olive oil and line with parchment paper
- Place yoghurt into a large mixing bowl
- Add porridge oats and baking powder and combine all together
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl/cup and then add to the rest of the ingredients
- Stir in the treacle and seeds
- Mix all together really well
- Spoon mixture into the lined loaf tin
- Cook in the top of the oven for approx 40-45 minutes
- 10 minutes before cooking time is up remove bread from the tin and return back to oven for remainder of the time
- Leave to cool fully on a wire rack.
- Butter and/or jam. Delicious toasted
- Avocado & poached egg
- Banana & peanut butter
- Tomato and goats cheese
The list is endless!!
One Comment Add yours